Bill With Anastasia

Bill With Anastasia
Bill Eatmon - 1955 - 2006 Co-shepherd at Sheltering Pines from June, 1996 to August, 2006.

Followers

Saturday, August 25, 2007

August 26, 2006 - August 26, 2007: A long year of missing Bill Eatmon

Bill,

Today marks 1 full year without your presence here. There are no words to express how much I miss you…just the dull empty void of going on through life without you. You were definitely the reason for Sheltering Pines and it will never be the same again without you.

In some ways the past year has gone fast. In most ways it has dragged on like an eternity. You were always such a positive force….the eternally optimistic one. I remember your bouts with illness and the way you never complained. I can't imagine going through what you did. I would have been the worst possible patient I'm sure!

I'll never forget lambing with you here. When you saw little feet coming out of the ewe…if they were white….we just KNEW the ewe was delivering a wildly spotted lamb which made you quite joyful! You always strung cable to the barn hooked to cameras so you could watch the ewes on tv from your bed each night while I was working 3rd shift. I always knew that while I was working the sheep were in the best possible of care.

You were always a person who loved to laugh, even though much of the time you felt sick. You so enjoyed sitcoms on television and the sound of your audible laughter while watching them is much missed.

You were always "inventing" something new. A new way to do something in weaving…..a new gadget, gate or setup to make my life easier for feeding/caring for the sheep.

The jugs you built are fantastic. I wasn't sure when I came to the barn one evening after waking up and found them all built. You used the asile down between the 2 sides of the sheep where I used to walk. It was a handy walk-way, but after one season of lambing with those jugs I was sold on them! They are worth their weight in gold.

The landscape did not get tended to much this year. I didn't have the will to do it. Even though many of the gardens were originally put in by myself, you put your "stamp" upon them with your creative gardening. The hosta beds, the goldfish pond with waterfall and running creek.

Your studio has not seen much activity over the past year. Mainly storage for your yarns, the fleeces and some of your handiwork.

Thank you for the 10 years and 2 months that you gave to me. I shall never forget you and I shall never stop missing you.

Love,
Steve

The following old Irish Folk Song has long been a favorite of mine. A musical group called "Dead Can Dance" has performed it best in my opinion. It has taken on new meaning over the past year:

I am stretched on your grave
And will lie there forever--
With your hands held in mine
Id be sure we'd not sever--
My apple tree my brightness
'tis time we were together--
For I smell of the earth
And am stained by the weather

When my family thinks
That I'm safe in my bed--
From night until morning
I am stretched at your head--
Calling out to the air
With tears both hot and wild--
Oh I grieve for the one
That I loved and is gone.

The priests and the friars
Behold me in dread--
Because I still love you
My love and you're dead--
I would still be your shelter
From rain and from storm--
And with you in your cold grave
I cannot sleep warm.

1 comment:

Nancy K. said...

I'm sending you big hugs. I wish there was something more that I could do to help you ease the pain, but I know that there is not. Just know that you are loved...